- Ciencias de la vida
- Palabras clave de la investigación:
- stunting, micronutrients, hidden hunger, biofortification, randomised controlled trials
- Intereses de colaboración:
- Stunting prevention studies and/or randomised controlled trials, capacity building training and short courses
- Tonderayi “Tonde” Matsungo is a Nutrition Scientist, Academic and Consultant from Rusape, Zimbabwe.He holds an M.Phil. in Human Physiology (2010) and a BSc in Nutrition (2004) all from the University of Zimbabwe. He is currently a Senior Lecturer (Nutrition) with the Institute of Food, Nutrition and Family Sciences (IFNFS) at the University of Zimbabwe. Tonde was the co-project manager (2013 to 2016) for the Tswaka study a randomised controlled trial in South Africa comparing the efficacy of complementary food products on child growth in 6-12 months old infants. His research focuses on stunting prevention strategies in low income settings. He is also passionate about capacity and leadership development for nutrition practitioners in Africa and globally. Tonde is the current Secretary General of the Zimbabwe Nutrition Association (ZimNA) and a committee member for the Education Committee for Nutritionists and Dieticians for the Allied Health Practitioners Council of Zimbabwe (AHPCZ). He also sits in the Executive committee for the African Nutrition Society (ANS). His thesis, Efficacy of lipid nutrient supplements on growth and micronutrient status in infants, investigated the factors associated with stunting at age 6 months and evaluated the potential of two novel lipid-based nutrient supplements on promoting linear growth and improving iron status among 6-month old infants followed for 6 months. The cross-sectional findings showed that stunting (28.5%) was associated with lower birth weight, shorter maternal height and male sex. The efficacy trial showed that one of the lipid-based nutrient supplements did show an intervention effect on growth at 8 months and 10 months of age, but was not sustained until 12 months of age. However, both lipid-based nutrient supplements significantly decreased the risk of infants for anaemia, iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia.
- Sitio de perfil profesional:
- Currículum vitae:
- Descargar currículum vitae (909,2 KB)
Para ver otros datos de contacto es necesario tener una tarea activa con esta persona
Los enlaces anteriores se abrirán en una nueva ventana de tu navegador. Una vez que hayas ingresado a tu cuenta, podrás regresar a esta ventana y volver a cargarla para ver el formulario de contacto.