Terms and Conditions
Thank you for registering with AuthorAID. These terms of service covers your use of the AuthorAID site. By registering with AuthorAID, creating, you are agreeing to these terms of service.
Ownership of Content
AuthorAID does not claim any ownership rights in the Content you provide. You own the Content you create and upload. After posting your Content, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such Content, and you continue to have the right to use and license your Content in any way you choose.
These Terms of Service includes a number of licenses that are necessary for AuthorAID to make your Content available through the AuthorAID Platform. For example, without the right to modify Content, AuthorAID would not be able to format Content to meet technical requirements, and without the right to publicly perform or publicly display Content, AuthorAID could not make the Content available for other Users to view.
Licenses to Content
License from You
Your Content remains yours. We claim no ownership interest in the Content you provide on the AuthorAID Platform. However, we also want to encourage sharing of Content between Users across the AuthorAID Platform. To this end, by uploading Content in which the Content is designated as Public Content, you grant to AuthorAID and all other Users a nonexclusive license to reproduce, create derivative works of, distribute, publicly perform, and publicly display such Content on the condition that the Content is attributed in a manner specified by its author, if at all (Public Content License).
If you upload Content to an area in which the Content is designated as Private Content, you grant to AuthorAID and all other Users of that Network a nonexclusive license to reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, and publicly display such Content on that Network (including any RSS feeds and other distribution that is part of such Network) (Private Content License).
Unless you expressly state alternative applicable license terms in connection with your Content submission, the Public Content License will apply by default to Public Content and the Private Content License will apply by default to Private Content.
We should also mention that you are responsible for making sure that you have all rights in the Content you post that are necessary for you to grant everyone either the Public Content License or the Private Content License. (We'll cover this in more detail later.)
License from AuthorAID
AuthorAID grants to you a Creative Commons Attribution License to the Content made available by AuthorAID for which AuthorAID owns the copyrights. In the event of a conflict between the Creative Commons Attribution License and these Terms, these Terms will control. AuthorAID does not grant you any rights to another User's Content.
Code and Content
You agree to comply with the license and restrictions applicable to each item of Code or Content you post, copy, access, or use.
You agree that all the intellectual property in the AuthorAID Platform, other than the Code and Content you provide, are owned by AuthorAID or the applicable User(s). Except as expressly permitted under these Terms, you agree not to:
- Modify, distribute, or create derivative works based on the AuthorAID Platform.
- Run, rent, lease, loan, or sell access to the AuthorAID Platform.
- Decompile, reverse engineer, or copy the AuthorAID Platform or any Network for which the source code is not provided to you or Code that is marked as Private Code; and
- Reproduce or distribute any Private Content or Private Code outside the applicable Network.
Content and Interaction
You agree to comply with the license and restrictions applicable to each item of Code or Content you post, copy, access, or use.
Content from other Users is made available to you through the AuthorAID Platform. Because AuthorAID does not control such Content, you agree that AuthorAID is not responsible for any such Content, including advertising and information about third party products or services.
Your interactions with other Users on the AuthorAID site, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and the User. Like with any web-based interaction, we suggest that you use caution and good judgment.
You agree that AuthorAID is not responsible for any loss or damage incurred as the result of any such dealings or with respect to any other User's use or disclosure of your Personal Data. If there is a dispute between you and any third party (including any User), AuthorAID is under no obligation to become involved.
You release AuthorAID, its officers, employees, agents and successors from claims, demands and damages of every kind or nature arising out of or related to: (i) any disputes with other Users, and/or (ii) the AuthorAID Platform.
Acceptable Use and Conduct
At the risk of sounding repetitive, you are solely responsible for your conduct, Networks, Code, and Content on the AuthorAID Platform.
You agree not to post or make available any Code or Content for which you don't have sufficient rights to grant the licenses above. Among other things, this means that you may not include Code or Content from third parties that is subject to license terms that are incompatible with the licenses you grant under these Terms, such as GPL.
You also agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available any Network, Code, or Content that:
- Is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, or harms minors in any way
- Harasses, degrades, intimidates or is hateful toward an individual or group of individuals
- Impersonates a AuthorAID employee or User or falsely states or otherwise misrepresents your affiliation with a person or entity
- Includes personal or identifying information about another person without that person's explicit consent
- Is false, deceptive, misleading, deceitful, or constitutes bait and switch
- Infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party, or Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships
- Creates, sends, or enables anything that constitutes or contains chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any advertisement that you are prohibited by law from sending
- Constitutes or contains any form of advertising or solicitation if (1) posted in Content; or (2) emailed to Users who have requested not to be contacted about other services, products or commercial interests
- Advertises any illegal services or the sale of any items the sale of which is prohibited or restricted by applicable law, including without limitation items the sale of which is prohibited or regulated by applicable law
- Contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment
- Disrupts the normal flow of dialogue with an excessive number of messages (flooding attack) to the AuthorAID Platform, or that otherwise negatively affects other Users' ability to use the AuthorAID Platform
- Employs misleading email or IP addresses, or forged headers or otherwise manipulated identifiers in order to disguise the origin of Content transmitted through the AuthorAID Platform
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Stalk or otherwise harass anyone
- Collect Personal Data about other Users for commercial or unlawful purposes
- Use automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools, or the like to download data from Social Networks and the AuthorAID Platform - except for Internet search engines (e.g. Google) and non-commercial public archives (e.g. archive.org) that comply with our robots.txt file, or well-behaved web services/RSS/Atom clients. We reserve the right to define what we mean by well-behaved
- Post non-local or otherwise irrelevant Content, repeatedly post the same or similar Content or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on AuthorAID's infrastructure
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to AuthorAID's computer systems or engage in any activity that disrupts, diminishes the quality of, interferes with the performance of, or impairs the functionality of, the AuthorAID Platform
- Develop, invoke, or utilize any code to disrupt, diminish the quality of, interfere with the performance of, or impair the functionality of the AuthorAID Platform or any Network
Privacy and Spam
You agree to comply with all applicable laws with respect to
- any collection, use, or disclosure of Personal Data
- email communications, including without limitation CAN-SPAM, applicable state laws, and applicable laws in non-U.S. jurisdictions.
Copyright Infringement by Users
You agree to promptly address any copyright owner's written notice (including any notices forwarded to you by AuthorAID) that specified Content provided by User of a Network that you control infringes that third party's copyrights. If you do not promptly remove the Content specified in the notice, AuthorAID may remove the Content without any liability to you or to the User that posted such Content.
AuthorAID maintains and enforces a policy of terminating the accounts of Users who are repeat copyright infringers.
These Terms of Service commence upon your acceptance of these Terms and continues until terminated. These Terms will automatically terminate if AuthorAID decides, in its sole discretion, to discontinue the AuthorAID Platform.
Deactivating Your Account
You may deactivate your AuthorAID account at any time, for any reason, by following the instructions on AuthorAID.
AuthorAID has the right (at its sole discretion) to delete or deactivate your account, block your email or IP address, or otherwise terminate your access to or use of the AuthorAID Platform or any Network, or remove and discard any Code or Content within any Network, without notice and for any reason.
Effects of Deactivating An Account
Upon deactivating your account, these Terms terminates and your access rights to the AuthorAID Platform will immediately cease to exist. The Code for the Network(s) associated with your account will be deactivated; however, as previously mentioned, Code may remain on the AuthorAID Platform in other Social Networks that made a copy of your Public Code. For Content you wish to delete from the AuthorAID Platform, you can delete it by going to each of the Social Networks to which you've contributed. AuthorAID is not responsible for deleting Content on your behalf. Note that, even if Code or Content is deleted from AuthorAID's active servers, it may remain in archives. AuthorAID will have no obligation to refund any fees paid for premium services.
Changes to AuthorAID and the AuthorAID Platform
AuthorAID reserves the right at any time (and from time to time) to modify, suspend, or discontinue providing the AuthorAID Platform or any part thereof with or without notice. AuthorAID will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the AuthorAID Platform.
Disclaimer of Warranties
YOUR USE OF THE AUTHORAID PLATFORM, AND ALL CODE AND CONTENT, ARE AT YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK. THE AUTHORAID PLATFORM AND ALL CODE AND CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN AS-IS AND AS-AVAILABLE BASIS. AUTHORAID AND EACH USER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, SYSTEM INTEGRATION, QUIET ENJOYMENT, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. NEITHER AUTHORAID NOR ANY USER MAKES ANY WARRANTY THAT THE AUTHORAID PLATFORM, OR AND CODE OR CONTENT WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE.
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless AuthorAID, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, co-branders or other partners, and employees, from and against any claim, demand, loss, damage, cost, or liability (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising out of or relating to
- any Code or Content you submit, post, transmit, or make available through the AuthorAID Platform;
- your use or misuse of the AuthorAID Platform;
- your connection to the AuthorAID Platform;
- your violation of these Terms; or
- your violation of any rights (including intellectual property rights) of a third party.
Limitation of Liability
YOU AGREE THAT AUTHORAID SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR (A) ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF AUTHORAID HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM (i) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE AUTHORAID PLATFORM OR ANY CODE OR CONTENT, (ii) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSION OF DATA; AND (iii) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY (INCLUDING ANOTHER USER) IN THE AUTHORAID PLATFORM OR ANY CODE OR CONTENT; OR (B) FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THESE TERMS IN EXCESS OF THE GREATER OF (i) $100 AND (ii) THE TOTAL AMOUNTS PAID TO AUTHORAID BY YOU IN THE THREE MONTHS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE INITIAL NOTICE OF ANY CLAIM.
Updates to Terms of Service
These Terms may be updated or changed by AuthorAID from time to time upon AuthorAID's posting of the amended Terms on this page. If you do not agree to changes to the Terms, you must notify AuthorAID to terminate your account.
Users with questions about the AuthorAID terms and conditions may contact AuthorAID.